Sunday, August 16, 2009

Book: "Fallen Founder: The Life of Aaron Burr," by Nancy Isenburg

Ms. Isenburg promises a totally new look at Aaron Burg with this biography. She claims that he has been railroaded through the halls of American history and intends to set the record straight.

Burr, the grandson of Jonathon Edwards, was indeed a spectical, if not committed to his cause; educated, patriot, womanizer, and crude. His father, a college president, and grandfather both died before Burr's 5th birthday and I'm sure would have been much more productive role models.

The author doesn't have much to say, possibly because of the lack of material, about Burr's upbringing and why he was so unprincipled. There was thought during this period of American history that common sense one would increase with education, and I supposed that depends upon one's definition of common sense.

8/30/2009: This being my 7 biography of this era, I'm finding myself trying to skip over the historical events. So, I'm reading it a few pages a week to insure that I allow Ms. Isenburg to get her point across.

As I read Burr's exploits, I do continue to wonder how much different he would have turned out if his father and grandfather had of been a bigger part of his life. Or the difference if he and Alexander Hamilton's paths had not of crossed as many times as they did! Having said that...what if his wife had not been taken from him so soon.

The author, unknowingly or not, shows that Mr. Burr was definitely influenced by certain people and events in his life.

No comments: