Saturday, April 11, 2009

Book: "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture: James, 1-2 Peter, 1-3 John, Jude"

5/17/2009: I'm some 15 weeks into my study on 1 Peter and reading these "old guys" during their time (100-800 or so) continues to be enjoyable. Their fresh perspective helps to keep me balanced as I read and listen through more recent sermons and commentaries about Peter and his letter.

4/11/2009: This slow read, coupled with numerous other readings and sermons on 1 Peter, has been by far the best study I've ever done on any book of the bible. What these old guys, these sages, have to say is incredible. And how fresh the letter was when they were commenting.


2/15/2009: For my original comments on these "Ancient Christian Commentaries on Scripture:" go to...Proberbs/Ecclesiastes/Solomon.

This read on 1 Peter is part of the study I'm doing with my church life group as we follow our Pastor, Brad Thomas, through his 16 weeks of sermons on the same - 1 Peter.

Reading what these old sages have to say about this letter is remarkable. It gives me an entirely new perspective on the words. Seriously, think about it...Ignatuis of Antioch was alive during the time Peter penned this letter and wrote several letters of his own while being taken to Rome to be martyred. And here are some of what he had to say about the scripture itself.

Or Justin Martyr and Polycarp who were born soon after the letters were written.

Over 90 of these sages.... words so fresh.

To that end...read well.

No comments: