Friday, September 25, 2009

Book: "Confessions" by Augustine

Non-Fiction/Biography/Confession - This is going to be a slow read for me; depth is foggy, if not mirky...but good to search such as this out.

As the slow read goes, I've posted on Twitter (@DannyLSmith ) some of Augustine's conversations with God. Those posting themselves have brought about a few good conversations and are great thoughts for ponderings.

Here are those postings (Tweets)..as of 10/3/2009:

I came to Carthage..as yet I had never been in love, longed to love, sought an object for my love, in love with love...

....my hunger was internal, deprived of inward food, that is of you yourself, my God

Hortensius' opinion was "philosophical study had no social utility & does not contribute to human happiness." @TomVMorris would disagree?

Any book which lacked His name, however well written or polished or true, could not entirely grip me....

I therefore decided to give attention to the holy scriptures and find out what they were like....

I found the Bible was composed in such a way that as beginners mature, it's meaning grows with them....Augustine

.....I disdained to be a little beginner ~ Augustine in Confessions

Augustine's "Confessions:" a prose-poem addressed to God, intended to be overheard by anxious and critical fellow-Christians

Choice of free will is the reason why we do wrong & suffer just judgement - a Plato theme heard in Ambrose's sermons

Augustine-the older I became, the more shameful it was I retained so much vanity..to think there was more than the eye normally perceives

Augustine-I made an effort to lift my mind's eye out of the abyss, but again plunged back. I tried several times, but again..again sank back

Augustine-...these reflections depressed me once more and suffocated me.....In this way I made an effort to discover other principles

Augustine -such questions revolved in my unhappy breast, weighed down by nagging anxieties of the fear of dying before I found the truth

Augustine practiced well the discipline of Proverbs 25:2 "....and the glory of kings is to search the matter out." and to that end!

No comments: