Sunday, June 22, 2008

Book: "God in the Marketplace" by Henry and Richard Blackaby

When the notice of this book came across my email (from my friend Nolan) I immediately paid attention because of the author's name. Henry Blackaby was co-author with Claude V. King on "Experiencing God" I went through a Bible Study using the workbook in 1995/6 and it changed my life. Mr. Blackaby has remained in the mainstream since.

So, when I saw this book, my first thought was "aha, this is good if the book addresses some key workplace issues. Blackaby's name should cause many pastors to pay attention the relevance of work and ministry."

The book does give more credit to their reputations (Henry and Richard). They've obviously spent a lot of time outside the church building's walls and learned what their congregational ministers need to live well.

They've written the book with a lot of questions,lots of questions, many of them I've asked myself, others, and God - many times. Blackaby then addresses the answer(s). Though some of the content is repetitive, the subject matter in which it is addresses has changed. And, I like repetitive.

Blackaby also gives source notes, scripture indexes, and additional resources at the end of each chapter. I do appreciate how the authors say this is not an exhaustive study. I also appreciate and respect how they tell the reader to "test everything" they read in their book.

This book is a re-read and one to be left hanging around your desk for quick reference to our serious questions about work and Christian principles.

And it should not be controversial when you give a copy to our pastors.

God Bless.

No comments: