Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Book: "Doing God's Business" by R. Paul Stevens

This book is one the required reading list for the Theology of Work coursework at Bakke Graduate University. Stevens is the professor for the course and has been writing about the importance of God and work for over 4o years. A former pastor turned carpenter working as a "lay" pastor turned theology professor, he has hit me between the eyes, the gut, and the groin with this book.

While I normally make notes and underline any book I'm reading, I journal in some of the books I read and especially so when I feel God speaking to me through the author's words. This book spoke a great deal to me and reading back now through my notes I find myself myself humbled by how much I'm not leading well in my work.

Stevens causes me to really think about church; what is it, or what has it become? Is the way I do church the way God intended? Am I paying attention to church correctly? Is it equipping me to be a better CEO?

I'm questioning what I think about work, and some will tell you've I've got a different slant to that subject.

I find myself, while reading this book, wondering about my company's culture? Are we having problems because of our sowing? Am I purposeful enough about the company's mission statement (page 165)? Or the values? Am I living them out myself? Do I demand excellence from my executive team?

I wonder if I'm spread too thin? Do I give my executive team the right amount of time? Do I have too many direct reports? How well am I serving God as the CEO? Am "I" trying to do too much?

How well am I glorifying God (page 166)? Do I let problems go on and on and not deal with them correctly; am I offering bandaids to ripped jugular?

Stevens states (page 208) that "at every stage of life, but particularly at crucial transitions, we are challenged to rediscover vocation and to go deeper." Well, just read this book and he'll take you there.

This is probably the most overall profound book about God and work I've read yet. This book gets down to the life of God and work and what makes work so worshiplike.

Yet, and this is what is so extremely sad.....Stevens is teaching things I've not been taught before, and I'm one that has been looking.

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.

We'll see.

No comments: